Australian Bearings PTY LTD are this weeks #ThrowBackThursday, they have been a member of BearingNet since 1996!
The Australian Bearing story – told by Ralph Portaro
Australian Bearings started trading as “wholesaler only’ to the bearing trade in 1992. We recognized a weakness in the supply of bearings from the bearing distributors in Australia and started sourcing alternative methods to supply this market. Our country had surplus dealers but really didn’t have someone supplying “the trade only” as their sole purpose of business.
Every year (before the internet) I would travel during our Christmas summer holiday period, looking for new suppliers. Initially from the big bearing chains where we could source stock quickly. We still do business with most of these companies today – we then started looking for manufacturers we could distribute for.
Over a course of time we have gone from one staff (myself) who used to be chief salesman, store-man, finance and admin manager to these days having a controllable staff of 26 people in 4 different locations including one in New Zealand!
We stock many varied brands as well as our distributorships which include Timken, Asahi, Koyo, Rollway, KSM, McGill, KRW, NKE and SOG Oil seals.
We started with BearingNet around 1996 and were one of the original first 5 companies to join. A lot of our initial business came through Bearingnet – this service being unheard of in Australia.
BearingNet made us this magical company that could locate and answer immediately and sometimes could even supply a bearing to our customer before our opposition even quoted the job. This was one of the reasons we became successful quickly.
This year for the first time in many years we are coming to a Bearingnet conference. We hope to renew friendships and acquaintances and hopefully find more.
Raplh Portaro and Clinton Robinson will be attending the BearingNet User Meeting in Riga from the 9-11 October and look forward to seeing all delegates there!
Other notable achievements include:
- 2001 Australian Bearings was successful in gaining Australian distributorships for both Torrington-Fafnir andKRW.
- 2003 Became national distributor for Rollway.
- 2004 ARB & RBC were added to complete our stock range.
- 2005 Acquired sole Australian distribution for ASAHI.
- 2005 Opened our New Zealand operations,.
- 2006 Acquired Shorlube bush distributorship.
- 2007 Became authorized distributor for Timken taper roller product.
- 2007 Opened our Dandenong branch to provide specialized service for the South eastern suburbs of Melbourne and Gippsland.
- 2008 Became exclusive distributor for Italian brand Beco, specializing in High temp and stainless steel bearings.
- 2010 Launched new website & Customer Portal.
- 2010 Became authorized Koyo distributor specializing in needle roller product.